Sunday, December 29, 2013

Dave has been telling me to write a blog everyday now for the last week--I haven't been slacking, I've just been working! But, tonight is your lucky night! We have gotten soooo much done lately! Of course, that kinda makes us realize we still have a lot to do, but it is so fun to see the progress.


One of our first projects was to get the driveway fixed up so we didn’t get stuck every time we went there. {Literally, e v e r y t i m e for several days at least one vehicle would get stuck in the ice or muddy mess left from the ice.} {Usually mine.} Dave got his hands on a tractor though and smoothed things out before we had a couple loads of gravel hauled in. Oh, and then the dump truck got stuck. Of course! Luckily, one of our neighbors has a big ol’ tractor that could pull it right out. Here are a few pics of that whole shenanigan. I was at work during this time…. that was probably in the best interest of all those involved.




Our first interior project to get started was cleaning. That’s an on-going project, and probably won’t be completed any time soon unfortunately. Every time we move/tear out something we have to stop and scrub for a while. So funnnnn…. 

Then we started painting! WHAT A PROCESS. I respect professional painters SO MUCH. I hate to paint. And tape. And caulk. And cleaning paintbrushes and rollers. It’s just not a fun thing to do really. But we finished up the kitchen, laundry room, living room, and office already. They are all a lovely “toasted cashew.” The other bedrooms have been primed, but we haven’t started painted them or the bathrooms yet. 
 


The office {the purple/black room} primed. Me likey.

We decided to halt everything else and focus on the kitchen for a few days because we were supposed to be getting our appliances delivered on the 26th. Well, that didn’t happen, but we did get a lot done! We decided to paint the cabinets with chalk paint {that no sanding thing is awesome!}. I made my own chalk paint to save money, {thanks to my step-mom for getting a recipe for me} and it worked great. The color was supposed to be “candlelight ivory,” but it came out more like “stark white,” if you ask me. But we then used a glaze over it to tone it down some and I think we’re going to love how the finished project looks. 
Faces of cabinets painted.

Pretty and perfect after chalk paint... just not was I was looking for.
Glaze.
BEFORE
AFTER
 Also, my handy-dandy daddy came down and took out the vent hood and the cabinet above it so he could modify it where we can have a microwave over the stove. He took out one very strange, extra deep cabinet in the corner too and is going to change that into an open shelf for us. He’s so great! I really enjoyed having him and my sweet Papa down for a few hours and can’t wait to have them back to stay for a few days. We had a great time, not only working together, but also traipsing through the woods together. ☺ I love our woods! {Anyways, before I get side tracked on where we want to put deer feeders… that can be another post, another day}.

Handy Dandy Daddy hard at work.

After he took out cabinets and installed an outlet for the microwave.
Then Dave and I started tearing out the carpet the other day. That was sat-is-fying! Then after the tack board was removed and the floor was swept up really well we started installing our new floors! {Go ahead, cheer with us! YAAYYYY!!!!}  So far, we have completed one room—the dreaded purple/black room—and it looks A W E S O M E! Dave picked it out and I will admit I was leery at first, but it looks really good! It is vinyl plank flooring in “Nantucket,” which looks like barnwood. Those of you that know me will wonder why I ever had reservations about it since I love barnwood, but I did. They claim on the box that it is “Easy Click Installation.” That’s a half-truth. It does kinda click when you get it together, but it’s not exactly easy. The guy on the YouTube video we watched just drops it together, and really, it takes some effort, but hey, we can do it ourselves, and as my dad would say: “It’s just sweat equity!” 
Can you believe those walls were purple and black?? Trim and baseboards and this is gonna be a great room!!

Closet.
Upcoming projects: More painting {2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, all the cabinet doors, all the trim and baseboards, and probably most of the doors}, finish flooring, install baseboards throughout, install Dad’s new custom cabinet’s, re-cover the Formica and install backsplash. 

So, anyone who’s handy with a paintbrush or roller, call me and I’ll give you directions. ;) 

Love.
-Mal 

P.S. Here are some pics that make my heart happy. My boys. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment