Thursday, December 12, 2013

It begins...

the work that is.

Yesterday David took a trailer to a building surplus store in Dallas to pick up flooring, paint supplies, and other miscellaneous supplies we would need to get the house fixed up. That included a pallet of this stuff...
Feather Weight... that's a blatant lie. This stuff is stinking h e a v y.
This the flooring we picked out. It's vinyl, so it's really tough; it's "Uni-Click", so it's really easy to install; and it's cheap, so....yeah. Anyways, our house is about 1800 square feet and they say you should get about 10% extra to account for waste (pieces that you have to cut to fit it in correctly). That adds up to a lot of flooring. One whole pallet and a little extra. It was a total of 70 boxes... 70 really heavy boxes! And the whole time, unloading, carrying, stacking these boxes you have to read "Feather Weight." It's just rude, if you ask me! David could carry 2 boxes at a time... I C O U L D have, but I wanted to be able to walk again in the near future, so I struggled along with just one at time. It was great. (ha!)  (pst... I'm not showing you what it looks like yet, but I really can't wait to!) 

70 boxes of flooring finally in the house.
How about that carpet under there, huh? That stuff is prettyyyy......gross. I can't wait to get it out of there! 

Anyways, I cleaned the heck out of the kitchen yesterday. Not that it made it look better, but it made me feel better about being in it. Then we got started on painting prep (taking off switch and outlet plates, cleaning, and taping off). Dave worked on that again while I was at work today. My hero! 

Anyways, here are the official BEFORE pictures of the house. Enjoy. (But not too much, because it's all changing!)

Excuse the tools and cleaning supplies, please!

This is the view from walking in the door from the porch. Not the front door, but the door we'll use most.
I can't wait to see my dad work some magic and change that vent hood into an over the range microwave! I cannot wait for new appliances. That is going to make me suuuuuuch a happy girl!

Laundry room. It's right by the door, before you get to the kitchen. These cabinets were full of stuff. I'll never have to by laundry starch again. (Not that I would have anyways...)

Other side of laundry room. It's more of nook really. Laundry nook.

I took this of the living room standing in "dining room." Personally I don't believe you can call it a seperate room if there are no diving walls, but what do I know? It's where our big table will be. ;)

View of living/dining room from the back door. I can't wait to paint that ugly gold light over there in the "dining room!"

This will be the spare bedroom.

This will be the office. Can you say primer? I have literally had dreams about painting this room. I will find such joy painting a lovely neutral "toasted cashew" over these walls. 

Bathroom. Not much to say about that.

I don't know about this mosaic tile...

Master bedroom. With probably the ugliest paint color ever invented. I can only imagine it's called "baby poo." Is it brown? green? y u c k y. Oh, and that's the master bath over there.

Master closet. This is really just one closet. 2 Doors. Only bad thing is that it screws up furniture placement. 

Master bath. David thinks tubs are a waste of space. All I can say to that is: he's wrong.

Other side of the master bath. I didn't take a good picture of the shower...didn't want you to have nightmares.

Master bath vanity. Why was everything built in the nineties hunter green? I actually don't mind the color, but I don't want it everywhere. What shall I do about those tiles?! I am at a loss here.

Then, of course, my DH. Dear Husband, that is. Yes, he's wearing a Veggie Tales shirt. A 27 year old man in a Veggie Tales shirt....he's one of a kind!



 By the way, if you see me, don't look at my hands. I won't have a nice manicure until this project is finished...so maybe next October!

-Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment